Friday, January 27, 2012

My second entry for the Smooshers Valentines Challenge

My second entry for the Smooshers Valentines Challenge was certainly a challenge to create!  I wasn't even sure exactly what I was creating until I neared the end of the project- LOL!  I knew I want to create something around the words Love Birds, and that I wanted to include birds and hearts, but that was about all I knew at first.  I started sculpting the red bird first, and was thinking of possibly creating a necklace, but by the time I had the first bird finished I felt that it would be too big for a necklace.  I created a blue bird as the red bird's mate next.

 
I textured each feather and highlighted them with various Pearl Ex powders to add a gorgeous shimmer.  I also attached acrylic crystals to the backs of the birds.  Once they were baked I started rummaging through my odds and ends looking for something that would grab my eye and lead me in the direction this project wanted to go in.  I happened to find a round mirror, and suddenly I knew exactly what I wanted to create with these birds.  I saw a mirror wall hanging with the birds on either side and hearts at the top and bottom in my mind's eye.  The next component I created was this three layer heart with a beaded dangle attached to the bottom.
Each heart was made from a different shade of red clay and the top one was dusted  with Pearl Ex powders.  I strung a blue and white porcelain bird bead between a pink and a blue glass flower bead, then added a clear glass heart bead with a swirl of blue color running through.  I attached the polymer clay teardrop shape, which was highlighted with Pearl Ex powder, using a heart shaped jump ring.
I made several smaller hearts to adorn the top of the mirror as well.  Then I sandwiched the mirror with blue polymer clay and added all the different elements.  Here's how it turned out.
 
One of the things I love about these challenges is how they push me to try new things.  For me, there are no rules when it comes to creating.  I envision the finished piece, and then just figure out how to make that vision a reality.  There were many times while I was creating this when I wasn't sure what my next step would be.  So I relaxed myself, not forcing any ideas, and let my muses lead me.  I found my porcelain bird beads, heart jump rings, and glass hearts just when I needed to.  And each new thing I found in my stash was exactly the right piece to add.  I don't know if other artists work like this, but I usually just go with the flow and see where it takes me.  Whether it's my muse, my inner self, or just blind luck, I usually end up with a piece that I love.  Thanks for spending a little time with me as I share my creations and my creative process!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment