Monday, August 1, 2011

My kitties

You know, I just realized that it's been a while since I blogged about my cats.  I believe the last time was when I discovered that Cedric had kidney disease.  The good news is that with subcutaneous fluids just a few times a week he's doing MUCH better.  He's even felt good enough to play with Calcifer, which makes Calcifer a very happy cat!

 Cedric has claimed the orange tennis ball as his, so of course Calcifer wants it.  If Cedric likes something, it must be a good thing!  Cedric's been enjoying his big red catnip toy too.  He looks so funny laying on top of it, I can't help but laugh whenever I see him flattening it out ;-)  I make him even happier by sprinkling it with fresh catnip.
Sometimes he'll even share with Calcifer.  I am so glad these two get along so well.  They never actually fight, although occasionally Cedric has to remind Calcifer that he's the dominant cat in this house.  Usually that only happens when Calcifer's being really obnoxious and pestering the heck out of Cedric.  Then Cedric just takes one front leg, wraps it around the younger cat's neck and shoulders, and in one swift move puts him on the ground.  He doesn't hurt him at all, just reminds him who's the boss ;-)
Since Cedric got sick I've switched from feeding the cats primarily dry cat food to giving them canned food everyday.  I still leave high quality dry food for them to snack on, but their main meal is the canned food (with lots of gravy).  This works well for a few reasons.  First, there's a lot more moisture in canned food, which helps keep both of them hydrated.  Plus the canned food has a much stronger smell, which encourages Cedric to eat more.  Sometimes if he doesn't seem interested I'll dip my finger in the gravy and put just a tiny bit on his nose.  He smells it and licks it off, and usually decides it tastes pretty good and he'd like more.  He's been eating about 1/2 to 3/4 of a can of Friskies a day, plus nibbling on the dry food.  He's lost some weight, but that's not really a bad thing, since he was a bit overweight before.  He looks really good now.  And he seems happy- he's fairly active and his interest in everyday activities has returned.  He watches the birds with Calcifer, bathes, plays, gives headbutts, and loves his cuddles.  Words can't really convey how thankful I am to have my cat back, healthy and happy.  I know the day will come when I have to say goodbye to my furry friend, but that day's not here yet.  And Calcifer is thrilled that his brother is feeling better.  He was very sad when Cedric first got sick ( and a sad kitty is just about the saddest thing in the world!), but now they can hang out together and just enjoy each others company.
 These two are a huge part of my life- they're my furbabies.  I know that all you other animal people out there understand that connection, and the joy that pets bring to our lives.  I hope these pics make you smile too.  I love being able to share these special creatures with you! =)
-Michelle of CreativeCritters

No comments:

Post a Comment