Friday, August 19, 2011

Polymer Clay Smooshers Fall Challenge

Because of the hot weather last month I was unable to sculpt an entry for the Polymer Clay Smoosher's Beach themed Challenge.  I love participating in the Smoosher's Challenges and really regretted being unable to sculpt for about a month.  Polymer clay can get very sticky and difficult to sculpt when it gets too warm, plus I didn't want to add the heat of the oven to the already hot house.  The weather has cooled off a bit in the last week or so, though, so I have been able to get back to sculpting.  I had plenty of ideas for items I could create for the Fall themed Challenge, but eventually settled on a Fall Fairy Maple Leaf wall hanging.  I've had an idea like this for quite some time, and this seemed like the perfect time to sculpt it.

The red, green, and gold Maple leaf measures 9" tall and 11" wide.  I drew a template for the leaf on cardboard, then traced around the leaf on the clay using an exacto knife.  I made the leaf even stronger by using wire for the leaf veins and covering them in clay.  The fairy was sculpted from the same clay as the leaf and is meant to look like part of the leaf.  The really fun part came when I started adding red, green, and gold Pearl Ex powders to the unbaked clay, then covered the entire leaf in Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel.  This is the first time I've used the embossing enamel, although I do frequently use embossing powders in my work.  Because the embossing enamel is crystal clear I was able to add a thick layer, adding to the depth of the piece.  I baked the piece once, and liked the look so much I wanted to add another layer of color.  So I dusted on more Pearl Ex powders, and another layer of embossing enamel, and baked the plaque again.  This is definitely a one of a kind creation!  And I think it's perfect for the Polymer Clay Smoosher's Fall Challenge.  Autumn always seems to bring on a burst of creativity for me, and I have quite a few Fall themed items available in my shop.  Over the next month or so I'll be adding a variety of new items inspired by the upcoming Fall season!                                                                                                  

-Michelle of CreativeCritters

No comments:

Post a Comment