Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mother's visit

My mother is visiting for a few days, which is really awesome. I haven't seen her in about 10 years, since we live in different states and have been unable to visit for one reason or another. Even after all these years, it's so easy to talk with her. We're very much alike- something that used to bother me as a teenager, but now I'm proud of. We've spent a lot of time at the nursing home with Gramma since Mother's been here. It's the happiest I've seen Gramma in long time, which makes me very happy as well. My mother is an amazing person. She talks about my younger brother believing that she can do anything (and denying that she can), but he's not the only one who thinks that way. At 60 she can still sling a bale of hay, ride horses, drive for days straight, and she looks much younger than her real age. Plus, she's so COOL! I can talk to her about anything. She's very intelligent, open minded, articulate, creative, and more than a little nuts (or eccentric, as she likes to say- LOL). We were up until almost 5am talking, and she was back up early this morning, without a problem. She can run circles (mentally and physically) around people half her age. She's got a great sense of humor (just a bit warped, like my own). And the most amazing thing- even Cedric likes her. Cedric is an incredibly shy cat, and only a very few people outside myself, my husband, and Gramma have even seen him. Normally he'll hide under the bed in fear when someone comes into the house. Mother has such a wonderful way with animals that he was relaxed enough to play near her. It took about 4 years before he would play in the same room with Gramma- that's how skittish he is. But he never even went under the bed when Mother came downstairs. Then when we all went upstairs, he actually followed us and hung out for quite a while. For Cedric, this is monumental, and it speaks volumes about my mother. Can you tell I love and admire the woman? In my eyes, she's strength personified. I learned so much from this woman, and continue to learn from her. And the really great thing is that she continues to learn as well. We had a good laugh when my uncle tried to call her old. Sorry, but my mother is NOT old, and has no intention of getting old any time soon. This has been a wonderful visit. I didn't realize just how much I missed her until I saw her again. She goes back home tomorrow, and I know the house will seem empty without her. Of course we'll talk on the phone several times a week, like we always do, but I'll be looking forward to seeing her in person again. I feel pretty lucky to have a parent like her. She's a truly amazing woman.
-Michelle of CreativeCritters

No comments:

Post a Comment