Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Check out my new craft room!

My new craft room in the spare bedroom is really starting to take shape.  That used to be my brother's bedroom and had been used for storage for quite a few years, so there was a lot of cleaning to be done before I could even start bringing in my craft stuff.  For my clay area I used a desk that I got at a garage sale for a few dollars.  This one has more storage than my old craft table.  I'm able to fit most of the supplies I need on the desk, and I have a three drawer plastic cart next to it for things that won't fit, or that I don't use as often.
image
I'm hoping to be able to keep things more organized.  I'll have more storage space in the new area, so that should help.  I should be able to keep the clay things separate from the fabric and yarn things as well.  Although many projects do contain clay, fabric, yarn, and more, it's easier to keep them separate.  Of course I had plenty of help organizing my supplies!  Calcifer was with me every step of the way, poking his little nose into every box, and stealing the occasional tool or jingle bell (which I let him keep because he enjoyed it so much- LOL).  He's taken on Ozzy's role as chief supervisor in everything I do.  I even had to put another chair next to mine so he watch while I sculpt!

image
I've nearly filled the bookshelf that was in the bedroom already.  I haven't moved ALL my craft books yet, but I managed to get the bulk of them set up, and am in the process of organizing them on the shelves.  I have books on everything from polymer clay sculptures, to jewelry, to knitting, sewing, doll making, stuffed animals, anatomy, fantasy artwork, and more.  I have many interests, and as I've found books that cover those interests, I've added to my collection.
image
This room has a really good feel to it.  I love the color, and it's the brightest room in the house. I even moved Gramma's plant (which has been around since before I was born) into the room. Plants always make a room happier.  After spending the last several years working in the basement, I really appreciate a bright and airy work space.  I feel good in this room.  I've already created my first piece in my new space.  My mask for the Polymer Clay Smooshers guild Masquerade Clay Ball was a lot of fun to make, and I enjoyed working in a much more organized space.  My work area will never be completely uncluttered, but I hope to keep things a bit more organized this time around.
image
I like that I can now go into my own craft room and shut out the rest of the world for a while.  Before I was sort of in the middle of everything, and was constantly being distracted.  I was actually able to complete this mask in two sittings, which would have been done in many short sessions between interruptions before.  I'd be a happy lady if I could create all I wanted (which is pretty much all the time)!  Stay tuned to see what other creations come out of my new studio! Thanks for spending a little time in the world of CreativeCritters!
-Michelle of CreativeCritters

1 comment:

  1. You are sure to be more creative and productive! Great... Embrace your artist self!

    ReplyDelete