Sunday, March 13, 2011

Work on Morgan's Dragon Trinket Box continues

Morgan is my best friend's son, and he has a birthday coming up this month.  I've been sculpting a very special polymer clay Dragon Trinket Box for him since he loves dragons.  Father dragon is complete, and I decided to add a Dragon Kitty to the box next.  That's what Morgan calls Calcifer: "Aunt Michelle's Dragon Kitty".  So I thought the Dragon Family should be visiting with their friend and neighbor, Dragon Kitty.  I gave him iridescent wings and fluffy gray fur.  I think Calcifer would approve of these wings ;-)
 
Next I started sculpting the Mother Dragon.  I chose to make her in shades of blue.  I covered the foil armature with scrap clay, then began adding the underbody plates, which I cut out with a diamond shaped clay cutter.
 
Then I started adding blue scales.  I sculpted the legs, covered them with scales, then attached them to the body, adding more scales to help secure them.  I didn't use any wire armatures for the legs because they'll be firmly attached to the base, and have little chance of breaking.
 
Once I covered her body and head in scales I added wings, which I made sure to press close to the body and box.  This lessens the chance of them breaking.  I also used blue glass beads for her eyes and highlighted her wings and head with silver Pearl Ex powder. 
 
You can see that I've started covering the baby dragon's armature in clay.  But we'll save his construction for another day.  So far I'm very happy with the progress of this piece.  I think Morgan will really like it too.  Stay tuned to see how this project turns out!
-Michelle of CreativeCritters

No comments:

Post a Comment