Chicken with Chunky Vegetable Sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 14 ounces can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Dash of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons drained capers or 2 tablespoons chopped pitted ripe olives
- 1 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Pitted ripe olives
DirectionsPlace flour in a shallow dish. Dip chicken in flour to coat. Set aside.
In a large skillet, cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic; push mixture to sides of pan. Add chicken. Cook 4 minutes, or until brown, turning once. Add tomatoes, artichokes, broth, and pepper; stir.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken.
Simmer tomato mixture, uncovered, about 3 minutes, or until reduced to desired consistency. Stir in capers and oregano. Serve the chicken over rice; top with sauce. If desired, garnish with olives.
I left out the artichokes, capers, and olives, because I really don't care for them. And I used brown rice instead of white rice (brown rice has more health benefits). Either way, this is a fresh, healthy, and delicious meal! Enjoy!
-Michelle of CreativeCritters