Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ozzy


Some of you already know my 13 year old cat Ozzy has been having a hard time lately. He hasn't been eating and really just hasn't felt well at all. I've been feeding him with a syringe, using either baby food (chicken, lamb, or turkey), or canned cat food with water added and ground up to baby food consistency. The last couple of days have been particularly bad. He's been fighting me when I try to feed him, rather than licking the food from the syringe like he was before. I've shed more than a few tears in his fur. He was still doing "Ozzy things" though, like sitting in the sun on the couch, and he enjoyed getting his belly and chest scratched, even giving me some nice purrs for my efforts. Today was different though. When I offered him the syringe (filled with lamb baby food) he began licking it enthusiastically, then he even licked some out of the bowl by himself. When I came back inside this afternoon after doing some chores outside he followed me downstairs and asked (very clearly) for some more food. This time he wanted to lick it off my finger- hey, whatever works! I was more than happy to oblige. So I sat on the floor, repeatedly dipping my finger in baby food and letting Oz lick it clean, until he'd had his fill. Hopefully he'll keep eating, in whatever manner works for him. When my ferret, Ziggy, became elderly and started having difficulty eating I would spoon feed him several times a day. Ozzy would sit there and watch, asking why the ferret was getting such special attention. I told Ozzy that if the day ever came when it was necessary, I would do the same for him. Unfortunately, that day has come. But I will do whatever I can to keep my cat going, for as long as he's willing to go. He's not ready to give up yet, and neither am I. He's still able to find joy in life. I believe he'll let me know when he's too tired or too sick to go on. We haven't reached that point yet, and we're both still fighting.

-Michelle of CreativeCritters

No comments:

Post a Comment